HUTCHINSON, Kan. (KWCH) A woman and two small children are evacuated safely from a home after an early morning fire in Hutchinson.
It happened shortly after 3:00 a.m. Wednesday in the 500 block of E. Avenue A.
Fire officials say a bystander passing by on a bicycle noticed the fire and woke the family.
No one was hurt, and the family's four dogs and two cats are also safe.
Officials say there's extensive damage to the attic and front main floor.
There's no word yet on a cause.
Fire officials say there were no working smoke detectors in the home.
The fire department tells us they have a new program called "Fire in Your Neighborhood” where, the day after a fire, firefighters go door-to-door to every home within two blocks to ask if there are smoke detectors in the home. If there aren't, firefighters will install them for free.
HFD working a structure fire on Avenue A. All crews working. pic.twitter.com/viiB8ZdQP0— Hutchinson Fire Dept (@Hutchinson_Fire) May 8, 2019