Cell phone and charger ignite fire evacuating Winfield High School

WINFIELD, Kan. (KWCH) A cell phone and charger are to blame for a fire at Winfield High School Tuesday morning.

The Winfield School District posted on social media saying the fire happened in a classroom and the teacher was able to put out the small fire with a fire extinguisher.

The fire activated the school's fire alarm and students evacuated the building for a short time while the custodial staff ventilated the building of smoke.

The district said it did contact the fire department but firefighters did not need to come to the school because the fire was, "small, identified and quickly isolated."

Students have since returned to class.