One still hospitalized after Atchison chemical spill
UPDATE--Sunday (Oct. 23, 3 p.m.): One person remains hospitalized a few days after a chemical spill sent a noxious chemical cloud over a northeast Kansas town.
The spill occurred Friday morning after two chemicals were inadvertently combined at the MGP Ingredients plant in Atchison. The chemical release created a chemical cloud over sections of Atchison and sparked evacuations.
Officials said dozens of people sought medical treatment Friday, largely for respiratory problems. Most had been treated and released by later Friday.
A spokeswoman for Atchison Hospital said Sunday that one person remains hospitalized in stable condition.
The Kansas City Star reports (http://j.mp/2eX4Pei) that the company said in a statement Saturday that MGP is working with regulatory agencies to "fully understand the cause and mitigate the chance of a similar incident occurring in the future."
10:40 UPDATE: Things are getting back to normal in Atchison, hours after a hazardous materials incident at MGP Friday morning.
According to Atchison City Manager Trey Cocking, two chemicals were inadvertently mixed at MGP Ingredients just after 8:00 in the morning. That caused a chemical reaction that sent a large plume of toxic gas into the air.
That plume prompted the city to evacuate three local schools and Benedictine College.
18 people were treated for minor respiratory problems, no one was seriously hurt. Five of those are city workers.
A chemical spill at a MGP Ingredients in Atchison has prompted evacuations.
The city is alerting residents to stay indoors, close all windows and turn off air and furnaces.
The spill has left a large plume of fog in the area.
KCTV5 reports local businesses, schools, daycares, and the county courthouse have all been evacuated.
Eyewitness News is following this story, watch for updates as we get them.