NWS releases track of Eureka tornadoes

National Weather Service - Wichita

EUREKA, Kan. (KWCH) The National Weather Service has released a damage survey detailing three tornadoes that touched down Thursday night in Chase and Greenwood Counties. The two largest twisters, measuring EF-3 and EF-2. left behind the most damage.

The NWS says an EF-1 tornado developed as a thunderstorm in Chase County. It eventually developed into a supercell that moved across Chase County through Greenwood county into Wilson County. It produced a total of five tornado touchdowns.

The first two touchdowns were brief. The final three were surveyed by the NWS.

The agency says an EF-1 touched down in northern Greenwood County, near the Otis Creek reservoir at 9:15 p.m. It then moved south leaving behind minor tree damage, then crossed the reservoir dam.

Just ten minutes later, northwest of Eureka, the strongest tornado, rated an EF-3, touched down. It hit near Township Road 326 and H Road and moved southeast.

The NWS say the tornado grew almost three quarters of a mile wide, destroying a cabin in its path.

"The only thing left of the cabin was the flooring," read the agency's damage report. "The house walls were not anchored with bolts."

No one was at home.

The final tornado hit at 9:41 p.m. in Eureka. It was rated an EF-2.

The NWS says it moved across the town leaving fdestroying four mobile homes near 10th and Elm. A nursing home lost one of its side walls. The grain elevator near 10th and Mulberry also received significant damage.

Greenwood County interim Sheriff Heath Samuels said the tornado had the most impact on the north side of Emporia. Samuels said the major areas affected included the 1300 and 1400 blocks of N. Poplar, the 700 thru 1200 blocks of Mulberry Street to Elm St. and the 500 to 600 block of Jefferson to Maple.

A total of 92 homes were affected, including six homes that were a total loss, 13 with major damage, 29 with minor damage and 44 that were affected in some other way.

Despite the significant damage, there were no fatalities or injuries reported.