Court documents detail case against Yesenia Sesmas

Published: Feb. 27, 2017 at 5:07 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

A probable cause affidavit released Monday afternoon details the case against Yesenia Sesmas, charged with multiple counts in connection to the Nov. 17 shooting death of Laura Abarca and the kidnapping of Abarca's newborn daughter, Sophia.

The affidavit says a 911 call was made a little before 3:30 p.m. Nov. 17 by a man who said he arrived at his apartment in the 200 block of North Brunswick in Wichita after work and found Abarca inside with an apparent gunshot wound to the head and their infant daughter--less than one week old--missing.

Police recovered an iPhone in the apartment in the attempt to find the missing infant.

A search of the apartment found that Abarca's purse, wallet, keys and other valuables were not taken and there was no sign of forced entry. Two diaper bags were missing with the infant.

The phone retrieved by offices was found to belong to Abarca. On the phone, police found text conversations with Sesmas.

ON Nov. 18, a Wichita Police Department officer, while conducting a follow up canvas of the neighborhood, noticed a doorbell security camera, activated by motion or ringing the doorbell. The camera records video for a short period upon activation, court documents say.

Officers also contacted a neighbor who said she had observed the door to Abarca's apartment cracked open about 1:30 p.m. Nov. 17. The neighbor said a woman matching Sesmas' description looked out the door as she walked by. The neighbor indicated that she knew Abarca, and the woman she saw was not her.

A WPD detective reviewed surveillance footage gathered from 9:20 a.m. to 3:35 p.m. Nov. 17 and observed a dark-colored Dodge pickup truck drive south on Brunswick, turn around and park in an apartment driveway nearby.

Research of Sesmas led officers to locate a photograph on Facebook of a man next to a truck that "appeared to be consistent" with the truck on surveillance video.

An FBI Task Force officer was able to obtain phone records and determine Sesmas' phone utilized cell towers, south of Wichita, at several points in Oklahoma and Texas, winding up in Dallas.

Dallas police were contacted and searched utilities in the name of Yesenia Sesmas. This led them to an address where they found a dark Dodge pickup in the driveway. The Dallas PD SWAT Unit executed a search warrant of the home on Nov. 19.

Sesmas and the infant were found inside the home. A semi-automatic handgun found inside a closet bedroom had ammunition found to be the same brand as the shell casing found in Abarca's apartment.

A WPD lieutenant and a detective traveled to Dallas and conducted interviews. In an interview with a Dallas PD detective, Sesmas advised she was pregnant and had had a miscarriage when she was five months along. She said she didn't tell anyone about the miscarriage and faked a continued pregnancy to her boyfriend and family.

She admitted she sent photos of Abarca's infant to her boyfriend and told him she delivered their baby in Wichita. She told police she drove to Wichita in her Dodge Ram truck in the early morning of Nov. 16, and loaded up a car seat and things for a baby prior to leaving.

She said she had purchased a firearm for $450 in Dallas and took it with her in case she had to threaten Abarca for her baby.

At the apartment in Wichita, Sesmas said she confronted Abarca about giving her the baby. Abarca refused and Sesmas said she put the gun to her head and it wen off. She said she put the baby in a diaper bag and put the gun in a laundry basket.

She drove the infant to Texas and told the detective she introduced the baby as "Azul Maria" to her family and told them she had the baby in Wichita. Sesmas said she planned to move to Mexico with her boyfriend and raise the baby as their own.