Fire causes $80k in damages to north Broadway home

WICHITA, Kan. (KWCH) Monday, February 11, 2019
The Wichita Fire Department says a fire that burned a home on north Broadway last weekend caused $80,000 in damage.

House fire near 10th & Broadway

Crews had a difficult time containing the fire because there were boxes stored from the floor to the ceiling.

The home had been vacant for the past six months.
-----

Friday, February 8, 2019

Firefighters are on the scene of a house fire near downtown Wichita.

Crews arrived in the area of 10th and Broadway around 3:30 p.m. on Friday afternoon to find heavy smoke fire coming from the home.

Wichita Fire Marshal Stewart Bevis said that an excessive storage situation in the home made it difficult to get in.

He said firefighters had to enter the home through windows on the second floor where there were boxes stored from floor to ceiling.

"Excessive storage situations can be very dangerous - hard for firefighters to get around and move hoses to get the fire source. the boxes can fall over and fall on the hoses or firefighters. Also added extra fuel to the fire," said Bevis.

Crews searched the home and did not find anyone inside.

Broadway will remain on the scene to try and determine a cause.