Electrical short in Christmas lights starts house fire

HAYS, Kan. (KWCH) The Hays Fire Department says an electrical short on some Christmas lights is likely the cause of a fire that destroyed a Hays home.

According to Fire Chief Gary Brown Sr., crews responded to the 1300 block of Douglas Drive in Hays around 2:45 a.m. Sunday morning on a report of a fire.

First arriving police officers saw that a home was on fire and quickly evacuated everyone inside.

Firefighters used hoses to extinguish the fire which encompassed the front porch, attic, and living room of the home.

The City of Hays Fire Department, assisted by Ellis County Fire Department Company 5, the Hays Police Department and Ellis County EMS all responded to the fire.

Chief Brown Sr. says the likely cause of the fire was an electrical short on some exterior Christmas lights.

There were no injuries.