'It's not right and they don't care:' Family reacts to DA decision on Andrew Finch deadly shooting
Andrew Finch's family is upset to learn that the officer who shot and killed the 28-year-old man will not face charges for that shooting.
The decision from Sedgwick County District Attorney Marc Bennett comes down almost four months after Finch's Dec. 28 death. Finch was a father of two and would have turned 29 last month.
"Very close. I loved him and he loved me and we did everything together," says Finch's aunt, Lorrie Hernandez.
She describes these past four months as "devastating."
"It's not right. This is all we have left of him," she said Thursday evening as he held a framed picture of her nephew.
Hernandez says she expected a different decision from the district attorney.
"Everything they did that night was wrong," she says. "Laws were broken. Our rights were just thrown out the window. Nothing was right from that night. Nothing. It has destroyed a family, and how are we even going to go on? It's not right and they don't care."
In January, Finch's family filed a civil lawsuit against the City of Wichita and officers involved in the shooting.
"There's no justice in money. I don't know. I don't know. I'd rather have my nephew than anything," Hernandez says.
Community members have been vocal since the December shooting, going to each Wichita city council meeting and speaking, including Finch's mother.