Family seeks answers in shooting death of 9-year-old Wichita boy

WICHITA, Kan. (KWCH) Demonstrators gathered Thursday in front of the Sedgwick County Courthouse in downtown Wichita.

They say they want more answers regarding the death of nine-year-old Roy'Ale Spencer.

Roy'Ale was shot and killed last month by an 11-year-old boy in what Wichita police call an accidental shooting.

Police say both boys managed to get into a locked gun safe and were playing with the gun before Roy'Ale was shot.

"My baby don't play with guns and he didn't kill his self. He was killed. He was nine," said Sunny Smith as she led Thursday's protest.

Civil Rights Activist Norris Guillot says the family wants to make sure there were no flaws in the investigation.

"Whatever is presented to the DA, we want to make sure it has not been tampered with, that evidence has not been covered up," he said.

Wichita police presented the results of its investigation to the Sedgwick County District Attorney's Office Thursday afternoon. The office said District Attorney Marc Bennet would review the matter before making a final decision.