Discarded fire place ash leads to extensive fire at W. Wichita home

Published: Dec. 10, 2019 at 5:12 PM CST
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

No one was injured, but a fire to a west Wichita home left significant damage.

Responding crews found flames coming from the home with the fire that was in the attic area and ran from one end of the home to the other. This happened Tuesday afternoon in the 300 block of West Socora, east of West Maple and South Tyler.

The Wichita Fire Department estimates about $170,000 in damage: About $120,000 to the home's structure and about $50,000 to contents inside the home.

Investigators say fireplace contents were disposed of in a plastic container outside the home. The house then caught fire.

"Make sure the ashes are cooled before placing them into a metal container, preferably with water, a safe distance away from the house," said Capt. Jose Ocadiz with the Wichita Fire Department.

The American Red Cross responded to assist two people displaced by the fire. One was home when it started.

Latest News

Latest News