Garden City PD: Chemicals used to remodel home lead to explosion

GARDEN CITY , Kan (KWCH) Garden City Police say chemicals used to remodel a home led to a house fire Thursday afternoon.

Sergeant Lana Urtega says crews were dispatched to a reported explosion in the area of 1100 East Chestnut St.

She says when they arrived at the scene they could see smoke coming from the roof of the residence.

There were no people inside of the house at the time the fire started.

The sergeant says the estimated loss from Thursday's fire was of approximately $25,000.

The investigation revealed that the occupants of the residence had been stripping floors with acetone. Police say it is believed the flames from the furnace ignited the acetone fumes, causing the fire.

No injuries were reported.