Gunman wounds man, kills himself outside Kansas hospital

KANSAS CITY, Kan. (AP) - Officials say a gunman pursued two shooting victims as they drove to a Kansas hospital, where he shot one of them at the entrance and then killed himself.

The University of Kansas Hospital says in a statement that it started around 11:30 p.m. Monday when gunfire erupted about 2 ½ miles (about 4 kilometers) away. The statement says the shooting suspect followed a male victim as he drove to the hospital with a female victim.

Upon arriving, the man ran to the hospital's main entrance, which was secured. The hospital says the gunman then shot the man before turning the gun on himself.

The hospital says the shooter died, but the male victim survived with life-threatening injuries. The woman's injuries aren't believed to be life-threatening.

No hospital employees were hurt.

(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

The KU Medical System released a statement regarding the shooting:

Hospital leadership, medical and support staff are counting their blessings following shootings that took place near the main entrance of The University of Kansas Hospital late Monday night. Chief among those blessing are safety protocols, drills and University of Kansas Police Department. No employees were involved in the shootings that resulted in one immediate death and two wounded. Patients, visitors and staff were safe and secure inside the hospital while the crime took place.

“The security and safety of our patients is our top priority always,” Tammy Peterman, president of Kansas City division and executive vice president, chief operating officer, chief nursing officer for The University of Kansas Health System said. “No one wants to receive this kind of news, but our combined hospital and University of Kansas Medical Center campus has worked hard together on safety protocols and drills to keep everyone as safe as possible.”

It is standard protocol to lock hospital entrances after 8:00 p.m., except where visitors or patients must pass through security guards that are supported by armed police officers.

“The shooter never gained access to the hospital,” Chris Ruder, chief operating officer of Kansas City division for The University of Kansas Health System said. “Additionally, University of Kansas Police Department and our emergency preparedness teams have drilled for several years with hospital staff to prepare us for this moment … a moment you hope you never have to test. We are grateful for those drills and that KU police responded in less than a minute after the alert went out.”

An alert warning of an active shooter went out campus-wide to hospital employees and KU Medical Center students, faculty and staff. The alert reminded everyone of safety precautions to take in the case of an active shooter and where the danger was located.

The alert came and went very quickly as the shooting resolved and the work to help the victims began.