Hutchinson man says his dog saved his life

Published: Jul. 25, 2018 at 5:34 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

A "Beware of Dog" sign sits in the yard of a Hutchinson house, but it may be a little misleading, considering the dog is now being hailed a hero.

Larry Moore gave his dog a little extra love on Wednesday.

He says he wouldn't be alive without the quick thinking of Lucifer, or "Lucy" as he calls him.

"He jumped up in my lap, jumped in my lap and woke me up and I turned around and the house was on fire," Moore recalls.

He says he was asleep in his living room chair when Lucy alerted him to the fire. His smoke detectors weren't working.

"I don't think I wouldn't have made it, to be honest, because it just happened so fast," says Moore.

He says had just enough time to grab his two dogs and a few belongings before firefighters arrived.

Moore says just about everything inside is damaged or destroyed, but he and his dogs are safe.

"That's all that matters to me honestly. I couldn't be happier," he says. "We made it out okay, that's the main thing."

Firefighters were back on scene Wednesday afternoon taking a look at the damage.

They say the fire was caused by misusing extension cords. They also stress the importance of making sure your smoke detectors are working, and not going back into your house if it is on fire.