TEHRAN, Iran (AP/KWCH) Update Tuesday night, Jan. 7, 2020
Security officials tell CNN at least two ballistic missiles hit two separate areas in Erbil, Iraq.
U.S. officials report "very few if any casualties" resulted from the Iranian attacks targeting U.S. troops in Iraq. As of late Tuesday night, (Wednesday in the Middle East) the Pentagon hasn't reported any casualties.
Meanwhile, Iran's Supreme Leader warns that if the U.S. strikes back, there will be more violence.
President Trump did not speak from the White House Tuesday, but is expected to do so Wednesday morning. Tuesday night, he tweeted that "all is well" and expressed support for "the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far."
All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning.— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 8, 2020
Our country is standing with the courageous service members under fire tonight in Iraq and their families here at home. We must remain united in supporting our troops and continuing to stand against Iran’s escalating provocations of the U.S. and our allies.— Rep. Ron Estes (@RepRonEstes) January 8, 2020
Please join Laina and I in praying for the safety of our men and women in uniform and their families tonight. May God bless them, and may God bless the United States.— Dr. Roger Marshall (@RogerMarshallMD) January 8, 2020
The Federal Aviation Administration is barring U.S. pilots and carriers from flying in areas of Iraqi, Iranian and some Persian Gulf airspace. The agency is warning of the “potential for miscalculation or mis-identification" for civilian aircraft amid heightened tensions between the U.S. and Iran.
The emergency flight restrictions follow ballistic missile strikes Tuesday on two Iraqi bases that house U.S. troops. Such restrictions are often precautionary in nature to prevent civilian aircraft from being confused for ones engaged in armed conflict.
The Pentagon says Iran launched more than a dozen ballistic missiles at least two Iraqi air bases housing U.S. troops.
In statement Jonathan Hoffman, Assistant to the Secretary of Defense for Public Affairs, the government says it is working on initial damage assessments at Al-Assad and Irbil military bases.
"In recent days and in response to Iranian threats and actions, the Department of Defense has taken all appropriate measures to safeguard our personnel and partners," said the Pentagon. "These bases have been on high alert due to indications that the Iranian regime planned to attack our forces and interests in the region."
Hoffman said the Pentagon will take "all necessary measures to protect and defend U.S. personnel, partners and allies in the region."
A U.S. official confirms airstrikes at Iraq’s Ain Assad air base housing U.S. troops.
Iran’s Revolutionary Guard is warning the U.S. and its regional allies against retaliating over the missile attack in Iraq.
The Guard issued the warning via a statement carried by Iran’s state-run IRNA news agency. The Guard also threatened Israel.
#Breaking: Semi-official Fars news agency in #Iran claims that the rocket attack at Al Assad was an "Iranian six missile attack" (6:03 p.m. ET 1/7/20) Ayn al Asad is an Iraqi Armed Forces and United States armed forces air base located in Anbar province of western #Iraq. pic.twitter.com/c2P7Hlyk0N— Walter Aleman (@WalterAleman8) January 8, 2020
Iran state TV says Tehran has launched “tens” of surface-to-surface missiles at Iraq’s Ain Assad air base housing U.S. troops over America’s killing of a top Iranian general.
State TV described it early Wednesday as Tehran’s revenge operation over the killing of Revolutionary Guard Gen. Qassem Soleimani.
In a tweet from CBS Evening News anchor Norah O'Donnell, Press Secretary Stephanie Grisham President Donald Trump had been briefed on reports of the attacks, and "is monitoring the situation closely and consulting with his national security team.”
BREAKING: Press Sec. Stephanie Grisham: “We are aware of the reports of attacks on US facilities in Iraq. The President has been briefed and is monitoring the situation closely and consulting with his national security team.” #Iran— Norah O'Donnell���� (@NorahODonnell) January 7, 2020
Jennifer Griffin, a national correspondent for Fox News, reports that a senior U.S. military source in Iraq tells her the missile attack is from Iran.
"These are either cruise missiles or short range ballistic missiles. All over the country.”
From senior US military source in Iraq:— Jennifer Griffin (@JenGriffinFNC) January 7, 2020
“Under missile attack from Iran. These are either cruise missiles or short range ballistic missiles. All over the country.”