Kansas mother issues warning after daughter gets trapped in front-loading washing machine

SYLVAN GROVE, Kan. (KWCH) A Sylvan Grove woman hopes warning other parents about the dangers of front-loading washing machines may save them from experiencing a scary situation her family went through.

Lindsey McIver says she and her husband bought a front-loading washing machine after their old one went out.

She says they installed the washing machine that evening and warned her children not to touch it.

Early the next morning, she says she woke up to her four-year-old son crying and trying to tell them his three-year-old sister was trapped inside the washing machine.

"By the time we reached the laundry room in the basement, my three-year-old daughter Kloe was LOCKED inside the airtight washing machine. It was tumbling and filling with water. She was screaming but you couldn’t hear her," McIver says in her post.

She says they were quickly able to stop the washing machine, unlock the door and get their daughter out. She only had a couple of small bumps on her head and wet clothes.

"After going through all the “what if‘s” and “could have’s” we know we are very blessed and God had mercy on our sweet daughter," says McIver.

She says her washing machine does have child safety features, but she and her husband hadn't gone over them after installing it. Her post includes a photo of the washing machine now secured with a child safety lock.

"I realize that there are ways we could’ve prevented this from happening. This is the season for swimming pool accidents and kids being left in hot cars and all sorts of other horrible accidents. And that’s what most of them are. Accidents. Shaming the mom doesn’t do anyone any good. We need to be open and honest about our mistakes to help one another keep our kids safe. And trust me, that mom is already beating herself up enough," concludes her post.

It's since been shared more than 360,000 times.