Maize South Elementary School nurse, para recognized for saving choking student
The Maize School Board recognized two school employees for saving a student's life in January.
The district says Maize South Elementary School Nurse Stephany McClellan and Para Glen Shafer helped fourth-grade student Keegan Dalton who was choking.
Keegan was eating a chicken nugget during lunch when he choked on the food. McClellan and Shafer took turns administering the Heimlich maneuver until they successfully dislodged the nugget, allowing Keegan to breathe.
Maize South Elementary School Principal Meg Thimmesch told board members that several other people helped, including a classmate who went to get water, students who remained calm, and an employee who called 911.
Keegan’s mother Kristina Dalton, a Maize substitute teacher who was working in the school that day, was present at the board meeting to celebrate the happy ending of a critical situation.
Kristina Dalton says she believes more people should be trained in CPR and first aid to help in a similar crisis. You can find a list of CPR classes available through the American Red Cross
You can also schedule to take a CPR or first-aid class at a local hospital,fire station or through organizations like the YMCA.