Advertisement

10 hospitalized after 'mass carbon monoxide event' in McPherson

Published: Jul. 14, 2019 at 5:43 PM CDT
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Ten people are hospitalized after an incident in McPherson the fire department describes as "a mass carbon monoxide event."

McPherson Fire Chief Ty Wyssman says about 3:30 p.m. Sunday, his department responded to a call for service in the 2200 block of East Kansas for a carbon monoxide incident with 10 victims. This was outside a travel center connected with a fast food restaurant (Burger King).

"First arriving crews found a church group traveling back to Oklahoma City inside the Burger King," Wyssman says. "Ten male patients were showing signs of carbon monoxide poisoning. Additional EMS crews were requested from throughout the county and surrounding counties.

The chief says all 10 were treated and transported to Via Christi St. Francis hospital in Wichita. A house supervisor at St. Francis did not provide an official condition on the patients, but did indicate that they are expected to be okay.

"It is believed that the vehicle, which the group was utilizing for transportation had developed a mechanical issue in which carbon monoxide enter the vehicle cabin area," Wyssman says.

Latest News

Latest News