Mulvane crews busy with vehicle rescues

Published: May. 8, 2019 at 9:48 AM CDT
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

It was a busy night for crews in Mulvane. They handled several flood related calls after several days of rain.

The city says Mulvane Fire Rescue responded to ten storm-related calls between 5:00 p.m. Tuesday and early Wednesday morning. Nine of those calls were vehicle submersions, the last was a tree arcing on power lines.

One person was taken to the hospital for treatment, though no further information was released on why.

5:25 p.m. Vehicle flooded out at 900 E. 111th St. South, two subjects were walked out.

8:36 p.m. Vehicle flooded out at 119th & Webb Road, one subject brought out in Rescue 410.

10:43 p.m. Tree arcing in power lines at 421 N. Olive, utilities notified, scene secured.

11:13 p.m. Vehicle submerged, 1475 N. Webb Road, one subject rescued by boat.

12:09 a.m. Vehicle washed off road, 119th & Broadway, two subjects transported to Station #2.

12:57 a.m. Vehicle submerged on KTA, Wellington requesting assistance, disregarded by KTA.

1:26 a.m. Vehicle washed off road, 110th Ave & River Road, one subject transported to Casey’s.

2:03 a.m. Vehicle flood at 900 E. 111th St. South, one subjected removed from vehicle.

2:35 a.m. Vehicle washed off road at Hydraulic and 130th, subject walked out of danger.

5:57 a.m. Vehicle submerged into the Cowskin Creek at 140th & Hillside, subject self-rescued.

The city says several calls were due to US-81 & the KTA both being closed at 119th street. Drivers were trying to find alternate routes and were unfamiliar with the roads.

Derby Fire Rescue assisted us with a Rescue Squad & a boat and a Heavy Rescue with 4 Firefighter/Swiftwater technicians for most of the night.

One Swiftwater Rescue at 11:13 p.m. hours on Webb Road was a car that was swept off the road into Dog Creek. That car was eventually caught on some trees around 600 feet off the road. Mulvane’s boat was launched to get to the driver, and she was rescued safely.

Officials say that rescue took around 45 minutes and was very labor intensive.

Mulvane had several units and 14 volunteer firefighters out most all night.

They remind drivers to be careful as rivers are not expected to crest until Thursday.

Good job tonight!!!!!!!!

Posted by Mulvane Fire Rescue on Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Latest News

Latest News