Cause of fatal SW Wichita fire determined

Published: Jan. 27, 2018 at 12:17 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
Update, Monday a.m.

Wichita fire investigators have determined that a fatal weekend fire was caused by an electrical malfunction. A power cord was run under several items, which were flammable.

This is the first fire fatality of 2018. Last year, there were a total of six fatalities.

Update 5:30 p.m. Sunday

A local minister died in a house fire in southwest Wichita earlier this morning.

Family tells Eyewitness News that Marshall Wright was the only one in the home when it caught fire near Meridian and I-235.

"He was a wonderful guy, I love him as a brother."

Marshall Wright, an Air Force veteran died just feet away in his hallway from a fire.

Firefighters say they had to force their way in after they saw flames coming from the front of the home.

"He just had surgery , and i was looking for ward to seeing him back at church."

Crews say they don't know what started the fire, but say he was the only one home at the time.

Friends say Marshall loved to cook and served for more than 20 years in the air force before retiring and becoming a bus driver for First Student in Wichita. They say he's been involved in his church for years and is also a minister.

"I had a house fire so I know what its like, but just the loss of Reverend wright is devastating."

Officials have not said what caused the fire.

UPDATE 1:01 p.m. Sunday

Authorities on scene say a man in his 60s died after his home caught fire in the 3500 block of S St. Claire.

Firefighters saw smoke coming from the home when they arrived and found flames at the front of the home when they entered.

Crews say the homeowner was the only person home at the time.

According to the fire department, the house suffered serious smoke damage and is unlivable.

The cause of the fire is still being investigated.


Original story--

Dispatch confirms one person is dead after a house fire in southwest Wichita.

The fire started at a home in the 3500 block of S St. Claire around 1:00 a.m. Saturday. When crews arrived, one person was in critical condition.

Dispatch says the fire is now under control.

Eyewitness News has a crew headed to the scene and will have more information shortly.