Police identify victim in Saturday morning homicide

Published: Dec. 9, 2017 at 7:27 AM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
Update Friday, Aug. 16, 2019

A Sedgwick County District Court judge sentences the man convicted in the December 2017 shooting death of a 45-year-old Wichita man to 339 months in prison. This comes out to 28 years, three months.

The Sedgwick County District Attorney's Office says the sentence for 23-year-old Jeremiah Mork, of Wichita, comes after a jury in June found him guilty of voluntary manslaughter, two counts of aggravated battery and criminal possession of a weapon by a convicted felon in connection with the Dec. 9, 2017 shooting death of Randy Gibson.

The judge Friday added 17 months to Mork's initial 322-month sentence because he violated parole in an earlier case, the district attorney's office says.

The district attorney's office says on Dec. 9, 2017, Gibson was moving his belongings from a home in the 2200 block of South Parkridge when Mork shot him.

"An autopsy showed Mr. Gibson had 15 bullet wounds," the district attorney's office says. "Mork also fired at and wounded to men who were helping Mr. Gibson move."


UPDATE (12/9/17)

Wichita police have identified the man who was shot and killed early Saturday morning as 45-year-old Randy Gibson.

Police say Gibson and two others went to a home in the 2200 block of S. Parkridge to remove some of his property from the home.

At one point, a 21-year-old confronted the three men. Police say the 21-year-old fired shots at Gibson, killing him. The other two men were on the porch and took off running. They were both shot in the leg.

Police contacted one of the victims near Pawnee and Cardington. He told police where he was shot.

Police say when officers went to that home, they still heard gunshots inside. The 21-year-old suspect came outside wielding a handgun.

Officers told him to drop the weapon, which he did. He was then arrested without further incident.

Inside the home, officers found GIbson dead. A 38-year-old woman who was also inside the home was unharmed.

The other man who was with Gibson, a 22-year-old, showed up at the hospital later for treatment of a gunshot wound to the leg. The 31-year-old was also treated at the hospital.

The 21-year-old was booked on one count of first-degree murder, two counts of aggravated battery and one count of possession of a firearm by a felon.



The Wichita Police Department confirms 21-year-old Jeremiah Mork was arrested in connection with a shooting that left one man dead, and another injured.

Police say Mork was arrested on charges of first-degree murder along with aggravated battery and criminal possession of a firearm.

Investigators have not said what led up to the shooting or released names of anyone involved, but neighbors say they have been to this house before.

"The wife and I woke up to a knock on the door and I saw flashing lights outside and it looked like the whole police force was out here," says Christopher Knapp.

As police secure the scene Saturday night, Mork sits in Sedgwick County Jail.

Police confirmed to Eyewitness News he was arrested on suspicion of first-degree murder and faces other charges.

"There have been problems over there since they moved in so in assumed it was them again," says Knapp.

After police were called to the area, they found in the street a man in his 30's with a gunshot wound to the leg. That man led officers to a home where the shooting happened.

Police say at the home, Mork came out with a handgun. Investigators found a man dead in his 40's inside with several gunshot wounds. Two other people in the home were hurt.

"It's scary but it doesn't happen very often, not in this area. unfortunately, it did happen so hopefully, it won't happen again," says Knapp.


Wichita Police arrested a 21-year-old man in connection with a shooting Saturday morning.

Police responded to a report of a shooting near Pawnee and Cardington around 12:45 a.m. They found a 31-year-old man with gunshot wounds to his leg. That man led officers to a home in the 2200 block of Parkridge.

When police arrived at the home, they saw a man leaving the home with a handgun. They arrested that man without incident.

When officers entered the home, they located a 44-year-old deceased man with multiple gunshot wounds and two other people.

Another person was taken to the hospital to be treated for a medical condition.

The man found near Pawnee and Cardington was taken to an area hospital.

Police have not released the identity of the victims or the suspects.