Parents of 4-year-old injured in road-rage shooting want 'justice' for their son

WICHITA, Kan. (KWCH) The family of the four-year-old boy shot during a road-rage shooting last week says they want justice for their son.


"He basically told us, 'Dad I've been shot,'" recalls Angelo Arambula.

He says he and his family were in their blue Chevy Tahoe on Wednesday afternoon when the incident occurred.

"My sister ended up sticking her head out the window saying, 'Hey watch out! We've got kids in here! What's your problem? And they exchanged words or whatever you want to call it," says Angelo.

Things escalated and what happened next was captured on a neighbor's home surveillance video camera.

In it, you see a silver Ford Mustang pull over and a man get out. As the blue Chevy Tahoe drives by, the man runs down the street firing two shots at the vehicle.

A bullet hole is now visible on the family's SUV underneath a "Baby on Board" sign. Four-year-old Andres was hit.

"I didn't even hesitate," says Angelo. "I stopped the truck, I checked and yeah it was. We got him out, we got him on the floor, put pressure on him and called 911. I think if it wasn't quick action as fast as it was, it could have been a lot worse, my son could not be here."

The Arambulas say a bullet shattered Andres' hip bone and lacerated his kidney and liver. Doctors say it will be some time before he walks again.

Ramonyka Smith and Tylin Atkinson have been charged with criminal discharge of a firearm into an occupied vehicle. A third man who was in the Mustang, Travon Coleman, was arrested on outstanding warrants.

Eyewitness News learned he and Smith were arrested in August in connection with a drive-by shooting. That case remains under investigation.

Angelo says looking back, he would do things differently.

"I would have rolled up the window and just turned around, turned off another way you know...maybe even call the police right when it started happening," he says.

Now, he just wants justice for Andres.

"I would like to ask everyone to keep continuing the prayers for my son because he's in a lot of pain," says Angelo.

The family thanks the community for their support, saying the police chief brought presents and firefighters came by to visit on Monday.

The family has set up a GoFundMe page as they will have a lot of medical bills. Andres will be in the hospital for at least 10 days and will need physical therapy to walk again.