Portable heater blamed for Hutch house fire

Hutchinson fire officials say a portable heater sparked an early morning house fire early Wednesday morning.

Crews were called to the home by a passerby who saw smoke coming from the home in the 1600 block of E. 8th Avenue at around 3:00 a.m.

Once there, they found a one-story home with a fire burning on the back porch of the home.

Firefighters made quick work of the fire, which only caused minimal damage to the exterior of the home.

The fire didn't spread into the home, but the smoke did.

No one was hurt.

Fire officials say an electrical short sparked that fire. They remind residents not to overload electrical outlets and properly use space heaters.