Wichita police identify 2 people shot, killed at Hotel at Waterwalk

Published: Jan. 2, 2020 at 5:38 AM CST
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
Update: Friday, Jan. 3, 2020

Wichita police have identified the two people killed in a shooting Thursday morning as 27-year-old George Kirksey and 22-year-old Alicia Roman.

Police say around 12:20 a.m. on Thursday, officers responded to the shooting at the Hotel at Waterwalk, in the 700 block of S. Main.

Officers arrived to find Kirksey and Roman with multiple gunshot wounds. Both were pronounced dead on the scene.

Investigators learned Kirksey and Roman were inside a hotel room when a suspect entered the room and fired multiple shots, striking them both, and ran from the scene.

Witnesses describe the suspect as a black man wearing dark clothing, 5'9" to 5'10" tall and having a medium build.

Police say this is not a random incident.

Anyone with additional information about the shooting is asked to call WPD Detectives at 316-268-4407, the See Something Say Something Hotline at 316-519-2282 or Crime Stoppers at 316-267-2111.


Thursday, Jan. 2, 2020

The Wichita Police Department is investigating a shooting that killed two people at the Hotel at WaterWalk in the 700 block of south Main.

WPD Captain Wendell Nicholson said the shooting happened about 12:20 a.m. on Thursday inside a room at the Hotel at WaterWalk. He said first responders arrived and tried to save a man and a woman who had been shot, but they died at the scene.

Family members have identified the man as 27-year-old George Kirksey. They said they're desperate for answers as to what led up to the shooting death of the father, son, brother and friend. They hope whoever committed the crime will turn themselves in.

"Please come forward, I understand if you're scared. Please, I need this for my brother," said Tia Kirksey, George's sister.

At the Wichita Police Department's daily briefing Thursday, WPD Captain Brent Allred said Kirksey and the 22-year-old woman were each shot multiple times. He also said there was no forced entry into the room.

"I don't see how this could have happened to my son. It was senseless. There's no reason for that," said Dorsha Kirksey, George's mother.

Investigators are talking to witnesses who saw someone running away from the scene after the shooting. Police only have a vague description of a suspect with a medium build, standing about 5'9 to 5'10 and wearing dark clothing.

Neighbors say they're concerned about the recent violence.

"This is like the third or fourth shooting in this general area. I know there's been two at that hotel over on Broadway and I know there's been more than a few at this hotel in the last six months. It's pretty scary, that's why we have cameras now," said resident Ed Poe.

Capt. Nicholson said investigators have not confirmed that the victims knew the shooter, but at this point, they believe this is the case.

"My heart goes out to the other victim's family as well, and even the perpetrator's family because that's another family that's devastated," said Dorsha.

Police are asking anyone with information on this shooting to call CrimeStoppers at (316)-267-2111, WPD detectives at 268-4407 or the See Something, Say Something hotline at 316-519-2282.

Latest News

Latest News