Wichita police captain accused of shoving ref placed on unpaid leave

Published: Jan. 13, 2018 at 8:44 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Update - Jan. 18:

A Wichita police captain accused of shoving a referee at a youth basketball game is placed on unpaid leave, the Wichita Police Department says.

The Augusta Police Department is investigating the incident from last weekend.


Update - Jan. 16:

The Wichita Police Department says an off-duty police captain who was captured on video pushing a referee at a youth basketball game in Augusta has been placed on paid administrative leave.

Eyewitness News first showed you the video on Saturday. In it, the captain, who appears to have been in the stands watching the game, goes onto the court after a player is hurt.

One of the referees appears to try and stop him or tell him to leave. Then, the captain shoves the referee and takes the player off the court.

WPD says the captain's leave is pending an investigation by Augusta police and an internal review.

Augusta police say they have wrapped up their investigation and presented the case to the city attorney.


A video obtained by Eyewitness News shows a member of The Wichita Police Department at a local basketball game shoving a referee working at a youth rec game.

The Wichita Police Department issued the following statement:

Wichita Police Department officials have been made aware of an incident during a basketball game in the City of Augusta that involves a department member. WPD will be reviewing the incident to determine if any department policies were violated. WPD officials do not have all the facts surrounding this incident at this time and cannot provide any further comment.

The video shows the man rush the court after a player was hurt. He walks onto the court, then you can see a referee get in the way.

He responds by pushing her out of the way and goes on to take the player off the court.

Augusta police say he was not taken into custody but officers escorted him off the property.

Augusta police say after their investigation, they will send their results to the city prosecutor.

Eyewitness News talked with Amber Stillwell, the president of the Augusta Youth Basketball League.

"If you're kid is hurt, whether it be the refs, board member or even the coaches and a parent is needed, they're going to tell the parent to come down on the court, but just to come down and put your hand on a 17 year old kid, that's not acceptable, especially here, it's not going to happen," says Stillwell.

She says the family of the referee is already planning on pressing charges. The parent is also banned from that building and likely will be banned from all of the other league games as well.

The incident happened at a league game between Andover and Augusta on Saturday.