WPD: Injured officer remains hospitalized in critical condition

WICHITA, Kan. (KWCH) Update Sunday (Feb. 12): The Wichita Police Department asks for prayers and well wishes to continue for Officer Brian Arterburn who remains hospitalized in critical condition.

Starting with an organized effort Friday, the community has been GOING BLUE FOR BRIAN to show support for the 25-year WPD veteran officer and his family.


Update Friday - 5:30 a.m.: Wichita Police Officer Brian Arterburn remains hospitalized after being struck by a car earlier this week. At last check, he was still in critical condition with injuries to his brain, chest and abdomen.

The City of Wichita is pulling together to show support by wearing blue today. You'll also find many people using the hashtag #BlueForBrian to share messages of support.

Meanwhile today, the man accused of running him over, Justin Terrazas, could make his first court appearance as soon as Friday.

Stay with Eyewitness News for any new developments in the case.
UPDATE - Thursday a.m.: The Wichita Police Department says Officer Brian Arterburn remains in critical condition, days after being struck by a car. Police say the case will be turned over to the Sedgwick County District Attorney's Office Friday.

UPDATE - 2:20 p.m.: The Wichita Police Department has identified the officer run over on Tuesday by a stolen vehicle.

The department says Wichita Police Officer Brian Arterburn, a 25-year veteran with the department sustained injuries to his chest, abdomen, and brain during the incident.

The department says Arterburn underwent emergency surgery and currently is listed in critical condition.

"Please continue your thoughts and prayers. We ask for everyone to respect the privacy of the officer and his family during this difficult time," the department said on Facebook.

About Officer Brian Arterburn

Arterburn is currently assigned to the Patrol South Bureau on first shift and has been assigned there since October 1999.

He's received awards while employed with the department including Bronze Wreath of Merit (1995), Bronze Wreath of Valor (1998). Officer of the Year (2001), and he was awarded the department’s second highest award, the Silver Wreath of Valor, in 2005.

The department says Arterburn used his own money to purchase a large quantity of winter gloves and knit hats, which were donated to Lincoln Elementary School. He also helped raise funds for Kansas Special Olympics and participated in a Big Brothers-Big Sisters event.

Captain Jeff Weible, the commander of the Patrol South Bureau, describes Officer Arterburn as a “hard worker who is respected by his peers and supervisors. He is always dedicated to keeping his community safe and has a good sense of humor, keeping a serious job in perspective.”

“Brian’s goal is always to make the Bureau safe for the citizens that call it home," said Captain Weible.

UPDATE - 10:30 a.m.: Wichita police say an officer who was run over on Tuesday remains in critical condition

Deputy Chief Troy Livingston did not go into details about the case, only saying the suspect had been arrested.

He became emotional talking about the incident.

"We were afraid we were going to lose him yesterday," said Livingston. "Medical staff did a great job stabilizing him and treating him."

He said the officer still has lots of hurdles to overcome.

He thanked the public for their well-wishes and prayers for the officer and all the support he and the department have been receiving.

He asked the public to continue to pray for the other officers involved.

"Keep the injured officer in your prayers. Don't forget about the officers who had to come into work this morning," said Livingston.

The name of the officer has not been released. Livingston also did not go into the type of injuries he suffered, saying he would have to talk to the officer's family first.

Eyewitness News was able to confirm the name of the suspect through booking sheets. Justin Terrazas, 31, was booked into the Sedgwick County jail Tuesday night for attempted first-degree murder and various other charges.

In lieu of cards and flowers, the officer's family is asking that donations be made to the Honore Adversis Foundation.

UPDATE - 7:00 a.m.: We now know the name of the person booked into jail after a Wichita police officer was struck by a car Tuesday.

A law enforcement official tells us the the man is Justin Terrazas.

Jail records show Terrazas was booked into jail just after 9:00 p.m. on attempted first-degree murder, theft and other charges.

The officer is still listed in critical but stable condition at a Wichita hospital.

Terrazas was just released from prison in December.

Kansas Department of Corrections records show convictions for aggravated indecent liberties with a child under 16 and aggravated criminal sodomy of a child under 14. Those cases happened in Harvey County.

He also served time for burglary and theft charges in Sedgwick County.

Terrazas was released on December 15, 2016 after serving time for a parole violation.
UPDATE -- 9:50 p.m.: Wichita police say the suspect accused of striking and critically injuring an officer with a stolen vehicle has been booked into the Sedgwick County Jail. Wichita Police Sgt. Nikki Woodrow says the 31-year-old male suspect is booked for attempted first-degree murder and other charges.

Police did not identify the suspect. Sedgwick County Jail records show a 31-year-old man named Justin Francisco Terrazas was arrested Tuesday night on charges of attempted first-degree murder and theft.

Woodrow says there will be further information at the Wichita Police Department's daily briefing at 10 a.m. Wednesday.


UPDATE -- 7:40 p.m.: The Wichita Police Department passes along the following information for anyone wishing to help the officer who remains in critical condition after being hit by a stolen vehicle:

In lieu of flowers and cards being sent to the WPD police officer hurt today.
The family respectfully requests donations be sent to The Honore Adversis Foundation on his behalf.
Thank you for your thoughts and prayers!
The Honore Adversis Foundation
477 N. Seneca St.
Wichita, KS 67203


UPDATE -- 5:30 p.m.: Wichita police say the officer struck by a stolen vehicle Tuesday afternoon is out of surgery and remains in critical condition at a local hospital.

Police say the officer is a 25-year veteran of the department. Police say the department is not releasing the officer's name.

WPD Deputy Chief Jose Salcido says neither the suspect nor the stolen vehicle were hit after a second officer fired toward the suspect.

Salcido says a chase ensued and the suspect ran into a business in the 600 block of East Pawnee where he was taken into custody by a K-9 officer with assistance of his K-9 partner and citizens in the business.

Employees at the RDK Machine Shop say they saw the suspect's vehicle clip a curb and pull into the lot of the business. Then, they say the suspect went around back and ran in through a back door.

As a police dog bit the suspect in the leg and took him down near a desk, a part owner of the store says dozens of officers started pulling in.

"I could see police just pouring in, and the next thing I know, the guy is coming through the back door," RDK Machine Shop part owner Robert Hall says. "And he's got a police officer K-9 unit guy on him. It was just one officer to begin with and the dog, so, I mean, he was kind of fighting him."

Employees of the shop say several people held the suspect down to make sure he did not get away. One of the shop's owners says he saw officers outside with guns drawn. He says they weren't entering the business at first, so he went outside and told them the officer inside needed help.

Employees who helped police catch the suspect say they were just doing their duty to help out.

Salcido says the Sedgwick County Sheriff's Office, the KBI, the Kansas Highway Patrol and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms are assisting in the investigation.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the officers family and friends and everyone affected by this," Salcido says.

Wichita Mayor Jeff Longwell says he visited with the officer's family Tuesday afternoon. He says the family is getting support from the police chaplain and city workers.

"It's a difficult day," Longwell says. "We know that our officers put themselves in harm's way every day. We don't need an incident to be reminded of that and these are just difficult times to work through."

Tuesday afternoon, several orange evidence markers remain in the road near where the officer was hit at S. Topeka and Kinkaid.

Several people in the area were home when the officer was hit. They say they heard the sound of tires screeching, followed by a gun shot. Every witness who has spoken with Eyewitness News says they saw the officer lying in the middle of the street, motionless.

Witnesses say it all happened fast and they did not get a good look at the vehicle Wichita police say the suspect was driving.

One witness says he and his pregnant wife were almost hit by the stolen vehicle, about half of a mile from where police made the arrest. Kenneth Robbins says he and his wife were pulling out of a gas station when they saw a black SUV swerving through traffic. He says the SUV had a flat tire and was driving on the curb, chased by 10 to 15 police cars.

At some point, Robbins says the stolen vehicle was speeding up behind them. That's when Robbins says he told his wife to hit the gas and go.

"My wife is pregnant and we're due in a couple months. And my first thought was , "Oh my God, we're going to end up losing the baby," Robbins says. "You know, something could happen there."

Robbins says the black SUV missed their vehicle by a few inches. He and his wife were shaken up, but he's thankful their baby is safe.


A Wichita police officer is in critical condition after he was struck by a vehicle near S. Topeka and Kinkaid in the south part of the city.

Sgt. Nikki Woodrow with the Wichita Police Department says officers were in the 2100 block of S. Topeka monitoring a home. There was also a stolen vehicle and a suspect with several felony warrants.

When the suspect left the home in the stolen vehicle, he hit an officer who was on foot patrol.

A second officer fired a round at the suspect. It's unknown at this time if anything was hit.

Two officers followed the suspect vehicle and a chase ensued to the 600 block of E. Pawnee.

The suspect was taken into custody. There are no outstanding suspects.

Wichita police are expected to release more details about the incident at 4 p.m. media briefing at city hall. Police advise to avoid the area of Topeka and Kinkaid where the officer was hit.
Wichita police will hold a briefing at 1:45 p.m. about an officer that was struck by a vehicle. Watch live coverage below.

An officer has been struck by a vehicle near Mt. Vernon and St. Francis.

Reports are that the officer has suffered serious injuries in the incident.

At least one person is in custody near the area of Pawnee and Mead.

Wichita police are asking the public to avoid the area of Topeka and Kinkaid due to a police incident.

Eyewitness News has a crew on the scene, watch for updates as we get them.