Wichita residents speak up after deadly shooting on 'swatting' call

Published: Jan. 5, 2018 at 11:11 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Some people living in Wichita are speaking up after the shooting of a man by police because of a false emergency call.

A handful of residents will bring their concerns to city council.

Transparency is one word that was used by concerned residents after Andrew Finch, an unarmed man, was shot and killed by police December 28.

His death has drawn attention across the nation because of the swatting call that led police to his home.

Doug Ballard, a Wichita resident, plans to speak at the council meeting after seeing video of the shooting that was released by police.

It shows Finch, an innocent, unarmed man, shot by police on his porch because of a fake emergency call by someone else.

"I didn't see the urgency in firing a shot from across the street in dark," said Ballard.

Ballard says this isn't the first time he and a group of activists have raised the issue.

He says about five years ago they did when several people were shot by police.

"The time between when they show up and somebody is dead is not enough time to evaluate the situation.”

We asked city council members if last week's shooting is something they'll discuss.

"I don't expect that we're really going to have any conversation on Tuesday about the incident, we're going to listen to the public, let them give their input and I think that's most important at this point," said Councilman James Clendenin, District Three.

Councilman Clendenin says they need to hear the results the investigations.

"WPD, the FBI, and others are investigating the matter, we want to make sure we have all the facts laid out in a row before we go and try to make some policies that help correct some things."

Meanwhile, Ballard wants to see the focus stay on police, “The thing that I'm most upset about like I said is the fact that all the coverage is on the swatter, and he didn't pull the trigger.

Wichita police say the officer fired, because the officer thought Finch was reaching toward his waistband to possibly grab a weapon.

Police say Tyler Bariss is the man who made that call.

He will be sent to Wichita to face charges.