Wichita woman headed to Nebraska rehab hospital after battle with insurance company

WICHITA, Kan. (KWCH) Update: Monday, September 16, 2019

Casey & Erin Richwine (GoFundMe)

A motorcycle accident forever changed a Wichita police officer's life. Now, he's fighting for medical treatment for his wife.

Casey and Erin Richwine were on their motorcycle when they struck a deer the night of August 19. He suffered minor injuries, but she was critically hurt.

Erin has been recovering in a Wichita hospital. After a battle with Aetna insurance, she's now on her way to the Madonna Rehabilitation Hospital in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Her close friend Esther Vantleven says it's the news they've been waiting for.

"I instantly became tearful and I went over and held her hand, and she made eye contact with me and she squeezed my hand and I lost it because I knew she would get the care she needs," said Vantleven.

Erin suffered a head injury in the crash. Her doctors recommended she move to the Madonna Rehabilitation Hospital to receive the best care for her injuries.

"The hospital actually specializes in traumatic brain injury," said Vantleven. "We weren't going to settle for anything less, because we need that proper care (for her) to be able to come back fully."

Erin will be transported to the Nebraska hospital Tuesday morning.

"She has a reason to fight," said Vantleven, "because she has such a strong circle around her. We know she's going to. That's why rehab is so important."

Vantleven says the Madonna will evaluate Erin every five to seven days. She says at any time, the insurance company can pull out if it feels she is not meeting certain standards.

A GoFundMe page has been set up to help the Richwine's pay for medical expenses. So far, more than $12,000 have been raised.


Original Story: Saturday, August 17, 2019

A Wichita woman is in stable but critical condition after a motorcycle crash earlier this week.

Officers say Casey and Erin Richwine were riding northbound in the block of 5700 S. 183rd St. W. in Sedgwick County when a deer ran out in front of them.

They were both transported to a local hospital.

Casey is an officer with the Wichita Police Department and is expected to be okay.

His wife, Erin suffered from a head injury and is currently in stable but critical condition in the surgical ICU.

A GoFundMe has been set up to help the family with medical bills and food.