4 players suspended for part in fight at end of Sunflower Showdown

LAWRENCE, Kan. (KWCH) Update Wednesday night, Jan. 22, 2020

Kansas forward Silvio De Sousa (22) walks out of the crowd after a brawl during the second half of an NCAA college basketball game against Kansas State in Lawrence, Kan., Tuesday, Jan. 21, 2020. Kansas defeated Kansas State 81-59. (AP Photo/Orlin Wagner)

Four players (two each from Kansas and Kansas State) face suspensions for their roles in Tuesday night's brawl at the end of the Sunflower Showdown in Lawrence.

The Big 12 Conference Wednesday announced the suspensions ranging from two games for KU's David McCormack to 12 games for KU's Silvio De Sousa.

For K-State, Antonio Gordon received a three-game suspension and it's eight games for junior James Love (inactive and wearing street clothes Tuesday night).

K-State says Love's suspension won't begin until he's medically cleared to play.

The Big 12 says both programs were also reprimanded for violating the conference's sportsmanship policies "as a result of players leaving the bench area during the incident."

“This kind of behavior cannot be tolerated and these suspensions reflect the severity of last evening’s events,” said Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby. “I am appreciative of the cooperation of both institutions in resolving this matter.”

In separate statements, K-State Athletic Director Gene Taylor and men's basketball coach Bruce Weber voiced support for the suspensions.

“We do not condone this type of behavior in any circumstance and fully support Commissioner Bowlsby’s decision on this matter,” K-State Athletics Director Gene Taylor said. “There is no place for this type of conduct in the game of basketball, or any sport, and in particular this great rivalry. In addition, I would like to offer my appreciation to Jeff Long and the University of Kansas administration and event staff for their efforts in resolving the situation.”

Weber says he is "extremely disappointed in (his) team's actions in the aftermath of (Tuesday's) game at Kansas.

“They do not reflect what our program is about here at K-State. Our team will live with the consequences of those actions and move forward in a positive manner," he says. "Our focus going forward is to help our players learn from this situation and ensure that it never happens again.”

Wednesday night, De Sousa issued an apology on Twitter.

In part, De Sousa says his embarrassed by his actions and for letting his team and fans down.

"There is no excuse for my behavior, and I cannot justify the unreasonable choices that I made yesterday on the court," he says. "I not only showed a lack of sportsmanship, but i put myself, my teammates and the fans in danger."

De Sousa says he understands he's fortunate to have the opportunity to play at KU and is grateful for the support he's received, including last season when he had to sit out due to an NCAA investigation.

"You guys fought for me when nobody else did, and I am eternally grateful," he says. "It destroys me to think that my actions yesterday overshadowed everything that we have overcome together. I will continue to support my team and do everything I can to help while serving my suspension."


The University of Kansas has announced forward Silvio De Sousa is out indefinitely following a fight Tuesday night inside Allen Fieldhouse between players from KU and Kansas State.

In a statement, Coach Bill Self said he was disappointed in De Sousa's actions and "there is no place in the game for that behavior."

Self said the Men's Basketball team was in the process of communicating with the Big 12 Conference to see what punishments would be handed out to both teams.

De Sousa missed all of last season while waiting on a ruling regarding his eligibility following a basketball recruitment scam that led to an FBI investigation.