Gray Television supports local community interests by providing quality television broadcasting and exceptional service in each market we serve. We own and operate leading media outlets in over 50 markets throughout the country – all delivering the news, weather, sports and entertainment that millions of our neighbors count on every day. We are an unmatched broadcast pioneer that keeps getting bigger and better.
We constantly strive for excellence. Through upgrading to the latest technology and seeking new ways to stay on top in our markets, we focus on training and development of the best and brightest employees in the business.
KWCH-TV/KSCW-TV is the #1-rated news leader based in Wichita, Kansas. If you only know Kansas from the Wizard of Oz, you'll be surprised to find tons of unique restaurants and a low cost of living so you can spend your money on weekend concerts, shopping and events! If you are looking for an excellent quality of life and a news family where you can grow doing what you love to do, we want to hear from you!
KWCH-TV is currently accepting applications for a full-time News Producer to join the #1-rated news team in Kansas.
Are you a now producer, with a hungry rundown, chock-full of urgent and impactful information?
Do you excel at winning breaking news and weather coverage?
Is your idea of fun coming up with new ways to showcase strong enterprise reporting and storytelling?
If so, then this job is for you! KWCH, in Wichita, Kansas, is looking for its next NOW producer to join our dominant #1-rated news team. The successful candidate should do what it takes to consistently produce a show that stands out as best in their market. You should know how to “produce up” a story. You should live and breathe social media and thrive at integrating it into your shows.
Oh yeah, and you should love weather. Because we get a lot of the toughest weather Mother Nature can dish out.
We’re seeking someone with 2-4 years of news producing experience. If you’re right out of school, you CAN get a job here, and to do it your show has to really rock!
A Bachelor’s degree in a related field, and a valid driver’s license with a good driving record, are required.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
• Prioritize, organize, and produce newscasts
• Maintain working knowledge of current events, community issues, and local contacts
• Search wire services, network feeds, websites and others sources to find relevant material for newscasts
• Work with news management to determine which stories to air during evening newscast
• Coordinate story assignments with assignment manager
• Collaborate with news operations staff to build graphics
• Act as leader in facilitating teamwork of staff members
• Accurately edit video with an eye for visual elements that make stories understandable to the viewer
• Work with directors and anchors on presentation of stories
• Assist reporters on story development, story expectations, and accurately gathering information under pressure
• Write creative headlines and teases
• Research and brainstorm story ideas, present ideas in editorial meetings
• Generate promotable story ideas daily
• Post and update stories to station website and social media sites, engage viewers
• Communicate with the web staff during breaking news
• Perform other job-related duties as assigned
• Write news stories
• Monitor competition’s shows and websites for missed leads
• Assist producers in formatting other newscasts
• Clear, concise, conversational writing skills
• Excellent communication skills
• Demonstrate solid news judgment
• Maintain strong journalistic ethics
• Strong initiative and attention to detail
• Be creative and create compelling and memorable newscasts
• Knowledge of newsroom software
• Knowledge of web posting software
• Strong research skills, including online research using various search engines
• Ability to stay current with national and local news/weather
• Intermediate-level knowledge of social media
• Ability to meet tight deadlines and work well under pressure
• Ability to work independently with little supervision
• Demonstrate leadership through training and mentoring less experienced staff members; guide others to get the desired outcome
• Ability to remain positive and foster a positive work environment; work well with co-workers
• Edit video and audio on industry standard equipment
• Build graphics and use effectively in shows
• Handle and adjust to last-minute changes
• Make quick, accurate decisions during the on-air process
Please apply online at www.gray.tv/applynow
Gray Television provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Gray Television expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of [Company Name]’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.