Police bodycam gives insight into Wichita officer-involved shooting

Police, SWAT, and negotiators attempt contact with armed, barricaded man.
Police body cam shows an officer-involved shooting that critically injured one
Published: Aug. 7, 2022 at 1:28 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

WICHITA, Kan. (KWCH) - Police activity filled a north Wichita neighborhood Sunday on 45th and Arkansas Ave.

Police were contacted at 6 a.m. and again at 9 a.m. of reports of 38-year-old Travis Davis threatening his family members. When officers arrived, they heard what they believed were gunshots.

He again damaged two additional vehicles in the driveway of that location. As police arrived Davis was barricaded in a shed, and officials tried to negotiate.

Captain Jason Stephens with the Wichita Police Department says, ”Mr. Davis did not comply with any requests or demands to surrender himself. He was heard making verbal threats to the officers, shouting erratically, and beating on doors and walls inside the shed.

Police say during the five-hour standoff, Davis was peaking in and out of a door on the shed. Edited body camera video of that was provided Monday by Wichita police.

Captain Stephen, “as you can see, he’s holding a firearm in his right hand.”

In another view from a swat member’s body camera video Davis could be heard firing multiple shots at officers. At least five shots were directly through a closed garage door on the shed. Police say they tried less lethal measures, but those were unsuccessful in bringing Davis out.

When Davis peered out of the shed door that’s when police say a swat officer fired one shot.

“To prevent him from firing additional shots at the swat officers that were located nearby, striking him one time in the torso,” said Captain Stephen.

Sunday evening Update: Wichita Police Department (WPD) Interim Chief Lem Moore confirmed that at about 9 a.m. on Sunday, WPD officers received a domestic violence call involving shots being fired near 45th and Arkansas Ave.

Police say when officers got to the scene, they learned the suspect had barricaded himself in a shed in the backyard of a home on 45th street. Chief Moore says SWAT was called out and officers tried making contact with the suspect. They threw him a phone, but he refused to talk.

WPD says the suspect started firing multiple shots at officers from the shed. No officers were injured, but a police vehicle was hit. Chief Moore says the suspect stepped outside of the shed to fire again, and one shot was fired by officers, striking the suspect.

The suspect has been taken to a nearby hospital and is in critical condition.

Sunday morning update: The Wichita Police Department (WPD), SWAT team, and crisis negotiators are working to contact an armed man who barricaded himself inside of a home near W. 45th and N. Arkansas Ave.

WPD Capt. Travis Easter says it started with a domestic disturbance call with reports of shots fired at 9 a.m. There are no reported injuries. Easter says they believe 4 to 6 people total were involved in the disturbance.

He says the area surrounding the home is safe. As of 1 p.m., the scene is still active, and Arkansas St. is closed from 43rd to 47th St.

Copyright 2022 KWCH. All rights reserved.